Avast is an efficient and one of the most commonly used Antiviruses around the world which is available for several platforms such as Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android, and IOS. Avast offers freeware and paid version. And without a doubt, Avast offers great features in both these versions. Avast’s secured browsing ensures your privacy and protects you from unwanted links and cyber thefts.
But along with these great benefits, Avast also has some irritating bugs. And just when you had enough of it and you planned to update or uninstall Avast, it doesn’t proceed. Ughh!
In this article, we’ll help you get rid of this error by updating or uninstalling Avast so you can shift to a different version or Antivirus. We’ll guide you about the reason behind this error and how you can remove it. Let’s get to the first Answer.
Reason Why Avast Uninstall Setup Is Already Running
There can be a number of reasons behind this error as Avast has a number of processes working in the background at all times. A file named “instup.exe” is the most probable reason behind it. And no, you cannot just end the process easily as it shows another error message “This Operation could not be completed”.
Avast is really pushing you to the limits todays. But don’t worry; we’ve got your back with the solution.
How to Fix Avast Setup Is Already Running Error?
Now here are a number of methods depending on the reason behind this error in your computer. Follow the steps for each solution and hopefully, your issue will be resolved in no time.
Deactivate Avast Self-Defense Module
Avast Self-defense Module prevents any internal or external program from shutting Avast services down. This is done to prevent any installed malware from disabling the Antivirus in force to gain access to your private data. In order to uninstall, you first need to deactivate Avast Self-Defense Module by following these simple steps.
- Open the Avast antivirus application and then hit the “Settings” option.
- Check if you are in the “General” section and Click “troubleshooting” which is probably the last option.
- You will find an option “Enable Avast Self-Defense Module” which you have to uncheck.
- Click the “OK” button to save the changes.
- In order for the changes to take place, you need to restart your computer.
Remove Avast Utility
If the above method does not solve things for you, the reason maybe you have Avast utility running in the background as a shield to prevent Avast from shutting down. Luckily, Avast itself provides the perfect solution for this. You just have to follow these simple steps.
- Firstly, go to the given website: www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility Download the “Avastclear.exe” set up on your computer from the mentioned website.
- When the downloading completes, install and open the downloaded file.
- A window will pop with term to agree on. Click the Yes option one this window and next window. This will reboot your computer and boot it again but in Safe Mode.
- Now you can select Avast to be deleted from your computer by clicking Uninstall.
- Again, to ensure all windows firewall services are back in force again, restart you computer.
End Task from Task Manager
Task manager is a savior and it has been used to stop unwanted programs immediately. Here you have to stop the instup.exe process which is working in the background. Sometimes, this runs in the background even when you exit Avast, but Task Manager will kill the task. Just follow these simple steps.
- First of all, right-click on the “Taskbar” and open “Task Manager” or you can simply open it by pressing “Ctrl+Alt+Del” and then click on “Task Manager”
- After this click on details or processes then find “instup.exe”
- Later on, select the “instup.exe” or right-click on it and click on “end task“
- After this, it’ll ask you for updating of Avast Antivirus.
It’ll solve your problem if it not then you can try the next one.
Repair Avast antivirus software
Although, above methods will entirely fix the issue but in rare cases, this method will help you. You can use the Control Panel to avoid this error. Just follow the simple steps given below.
- You have to simply click on the “start menu” or “star button” and search for “Control Panel” and open it.
- By clicking on the top right corner, change the view to the “Category”.
- It’s easy to find “Uninstall a Program” it is below the “Programs” then click on it
- Then find “Avast Antivirus” in the list of programs.
- Right-click on it and click on the repair option from the list or you can do it by clicking “Repair” shown in the Control Panel.
This might help you by resolving this issue.
Although, Avast protects files on your computer from getting corrupted but sometimes, Avast gets some of its own files corrupted. This method should help you in this uncertainty.
- By pressing multiple keys “Window+R” on the keyboard opens you “Run”.
- Then type “CMD” (command) and hit the enter button or you can search it from the start menu.
- When it opened simply type “c: cd\chkdsk” testing line and then press the enter button.
- This’ll figure out the corrupted files on your PC and it’ll remove them.
If Avast had some corrupted files, this must remove them and you should gain full access to the computer.
Uninstalling and installing Avast
If you are unable to update the antivirus, it can be due to improper installation of the antivirus. In that case, uninstalling and reinstalling the antivirus fresh from the official website of Avast will be the best thing to do. You just need to follow these steps.
- Open the start menu and search “control panel” and open it.
- Change the view to the “category” by clicking the top right of the control panel
- Click on the “uninstall a program” option lies below the program and feature
- Search Avast Antivirus program and uninstall it.
- Once it removed, windows will ask you to restart the system
- Once the system is restarted, open the browser and download the Avast application on your computer from the official page of Avast.
- Once it’s downloaded, install it in your system,
- It’ll be updated but for you confirmation checks the version of your recently downloaded Avast Antivirus.
- How to Bypass Avast Site Blocking?
- How to Schedule Avast Scan?
- Why Avast UI Failed to Load Windows 10?
- How to Disable Avast Popups?
- How to Turn off Avast Secure Browser?
- How to Remove Avast Signature from Gmail?
- How to Whitelist Programs on Avast?
- How to Disable Avast Startup?
- How to Remove Avast Email Signature?
These were all the methods effective again this error. Hopefully any of these method would’ve worked out again your problem. If not, let us know in the comments below. You can also head to Avast forum and explore more about your issue.
If you have any questions or suggestions related to this topic, kindly let us know in the comments below.