Kodi is free, open-source software for managing your local collection of movies, television shows, music, and photos. With its beautiful interface and powerful skinning engine, it’s available for Android, BSD, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Windows. You might even remember it as the old Xbox Media Center (XBMC). Kodi relies exclusively on your existing media, so it won’t save you from your having to subscribe to video streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu, or music streaming apps like Spotify and Pandora. Instead, Kodi’s utility is its support for lots of file types and compatibility with many different devices.
Streaming content from Kodi to your Chromecast requires a few extra steps, which differ depending on the device. Below we have provided you some different methods with a step-by-step guide that allow you to stream Kodi to Chromecast depending on your device. Make sure to follow these steps accordingly.
How to connect Kodi to Chromecast
Installing Kodi on Chromecast is a bit difficult process as you cannot cast contents from Kodi to your Chromecast by just selecting the Cast icon. You will require the assistance of Chromecast, which will help you to project Kodi from your cell phone, tablet, or laptop.
There are two different ways to Chromecast content from Kodi to TV. The first method is to install Kodi mobile application on your android device or tablet and the second method is by installing the Kodi desktop application on your laptop or PC.
However, if you are an iPhone or iPad user then you can’t stream Kodi from iPhone/iPad, due to some restrictions made by Apple. But, if you want to cast Kodi content using an iOS device, you can do that by jailbreaking your device.
Now let’s discuss in detail the three different methods to Chromecast Kodi content on TV. These three methods include:
- Chromecast Kodi from android to smart TV
- Chromecast Kodi from PC to TV
- Stream Kodi on Chromecast via ES File Explorer
How to cast Kodi from android to smart TV?
To cast Kodi from android to smart TV you need to mirror your entire Android device screen as Android doesn’t incorporate any specific feature to do so.
- Make sure that Chromecast and your Android Device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now, go to Google Play Store and install Kodi mobile application from there for free
- After successfully downloading the app, run it
- Click on “continue” to allow permission to kodi app
- Configure the addons to steam the contents
- Now, navigate to your device settings
- From settings locate Cast menu, usually available under the Bluetooth & device connection settings. If not then you can also search for it in the search bar
- Tap on Cast
- The name of the Chromecast devices connected to the same network will start to appear
- Now select that one Chromecast device you want to stream contents to
- In this way, your device will be mirrored on the Chromecast connected TV screen.
- A pop-up screen will appear, tap on Start now
- Keeping your device mirrored, go back to Kodi mobile application and stream the contents
- Now you will be able to see the contents you shared on your TV screen.
How to stream Kodi to tv from PC?
The following steps will guide you to cast Kody from pc to TV as Windows also doesn’t incorporate any built-in function for this purpose.
- Make sure that Chromecast and your pc/laptop is connected to the same Wi-Fi
- If you haven’t previously installed Chrome browser on your pc, make sure to download and install it
- On the top right corner of your Chrome screen click on three vertical dots.
- From the customization menu select Cast
- Now your pc will begin to search for nearby available wireless devices connected to the same network
- As soon as the name of your device appears, Click the “source” tab and tap on the “Cast desktop” option available in the dropdown menu
- Make sure to select the entire screen for sharing when prompted and select the Share menu.
- This will share your screen on TV
- Go back to your Kodi desktop application and select your favorite content to cast on TV
- The content that you selected will appear on the TV
How to stream Kodi on Chromecast (ES File Explorer)
Another alternative method to stream Kodi on Chromecast is via ES File Explorer. Make sure to follow the following steps carefully:
- Download the following listed files on your Android device:
- Open the ES File Explorer settings and navigate to Display Settings
- Enable the Show Hidden Files option
- Now navigate to that specific path where you have downloaded your XML file
- Move the file to this new path: Android/ Data/ org.xbmc.kodi/ files/ .Kodi/ userdata
- Go back to the Kodi mobile application and pick any media file to play
- The local cast app will launch automatically
- All you need to do in the end is to select the Chromecast device and play the video.
- The selected content will stream on the TV.
Complete walkthrough video for ES File Explorer
- How to Install Terrarium TV on Firestick & Fire TV?
- How to Install Xfinity Stream on Firestick and Fire TV?
- How to Install DirecTV Now (AT&T )TV on Smart TV?
- How to Chromecast Windows Media Player to TV?
The best and easiest way to stream Kodi on TV is by using Google Chromecast. You can either use your Kodi mobile application on your Android device or Kodi desktop application for your Windows pc to do so. Make sure to follow the steps correctly. For more security, you can also use VPN services.